Monday, March 23, 2020

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

⭐⭐⭐⭐/5

As expected, I loved the book! I'm not going to do a break down of events and plots because I have a life and that would take me 2 years. If you have not been living under a rock, you'll get the basic gist. Skip this review if you don't want spoilers.

🐺

Going into this, I assumed it was going to be a dense read because of how thick the physical book is. But it's actually pretty easy to follow. Just long.

🐺
I am in the "watched the series first" population, I know, I know, I'm a traitor. But moving on! The series ACTUALLY did a pretty great job in accuracy!

🐺

One of the things I liked BETTER in the SERIES: I found that Daenerys and Khal's "Newly Wed" era in the book was super confusing. Their first night together he seemed to be... gentle? I mean. Please correct me if I read it wrong or misinterpreted the writing. Yes, she was hesitant at first, then at the end of the chapter she gave her consent. Words like "tender", "carefully", and "gently" fill the text in this chapter.

🐺

Now, this all well and good, don't get me wrong. But the thing that confused me in the book is in her VERY NEXT chapter, she goes on to explain that he rapes her every night? What?! Where did that come from?

🐺

So I did like the consistency of the series. Making their initial consummation a lot less... romantic?

I don't LIKE to see such things, but the book made it sound like everything was hunky dory one night, then randomly Khal changes his tune and becomes harsh and revolting again? Then Dany has the power to change him back to tender with more knowledge of new sex moves?! I don't get it.

🐺

Book Pros: ANYWAY, for obvious reasons, the book gives more detail, you hate Sansa and Cersei more. Joffrey is more of a whiny bitch. Catelyn is more harsh toward Jon than in the series. Just more feelings!

🐺

It was good. I'm going to continue the books for sure. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment